Sr. Director of Development - College of Business
Company: Kansas State University Foundation
Posted on: January 12, 2020
Level SeniorJob Location Kansas State University Foundation -
Manhattan, KSTravel Percentage Road WarriorJoin our team!Kansas
State University Foundation is K-State's strategic partner for
philanthropy. We inspire and guide philanthropy toward university
priorities to boldly advance K-State. Foundation staff members work
in close partnership with university administrators, deans and
faculty to secure charitable contributions from individuals,
corporations and foundations to support identified priorities for
the university and K-State 2025. Gifts received through the
foundation fund undergraduate and graduate student scholarships,
establish faculty chairs and professorships, provide college and
departmental support, and enhance the campus infrastructure. After
the money is raised, it must be prudently managed. This function is
managed by foundation staff members who work under the guidance of
an advisory committee of trustees.KSU Foundation supports the
K-State 2025 vision by:
- Leading the $1.4 billion--Innovation and Inspiration
- Supporting economic development in our local economy through
our--K-State Research Park and K-State Office Park
- Promoting a culture of philanthropy on campus through K-State
Proud and--K-State Student Foundation Want to learn more?--Read
about philanthropic achievements at K-StatePosition DetailsPosition
SummaryAt Kansas State University Foundation, our objective is to
be, pound for pound, the best development shop in the
country.Through big thinking and pioneering spirit, we are looking
for an individual to lead like they have never been led before. As
a highly collaborative, goal oriented, and committed team leader,
the Sr. Director of Development is responsible for overall
acquisition of philanthropic gifts to support the College of
Business, while managing team member growth, development and
performance. This person is the key liaison to the College of
Business dean and other University leadership partners.--Did you
notice the travel percentage above? This road warrior position
requires extensive public contact with high-level alumni, donors,
and volunteers across the country.As a Certified Great Place to
Work, organizational culture and employee engagement is important
to us. We strive to harness your talents and build upon your
strengths. We offer resources for professional growth so team
members can find their purpose, a path to grow, ways to add value
and thrive. Work alongside passionate, caring and talented people
who trust and challenge one another in our intentional pursuit to
be the best.Core Responsibilities include but are not limited
- Lead the day to day planning an administration of the
development team and drive fundraising activity related to major
gift portfolio management.
- Develop and implement both annual and long-range goals,
objectives and strategies to maximize private support through
various sources (individuals, corporations, foundations and planned
giving vehicles) for the college unit.
- Manage staff, including recruitment, retention, performance
management, coaching and development. Provide supervision and work
direction for gift officers. Partner with KSUF resources to
facilitate professional development of staff to feed the talent
- Manage a portfolio; make qualification calls/visits, cultivate,
solicit and provide recognition and steward appropriately major
gifts for the college and university, with an emphasis on high
level major gifts.--
- Create and maintain an effective working report with the
dean/director. Guide strategic development related activities in
coordination and collaboration with the dean/director (advisory
councils, campaign committees) and provide consultative service and
guidance to maximize the dean/directors development success and
align with college/unit priorities.
- Utilizing a variety of foundation resources, provide regular
individual and team progress reports on gift officer and unit
performance. Ensure the completion of all contacts/proposals of
team in a timely manner.
- Partner with prospects analytics and research, principal gift
workgroup and campaign operations to identify new donor
opportunities, analyze team performance, implement effective
practices and coordinate donor/campaign engagement for college/unit
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years professional transferable
experience in positions that were metrics focused, required
measurable output and relationship building or in a fundraising
- Minimum 3 years of fundraising experience in a non-profit,
higher education or similar fundraising organization with
progressive fund raising production.
- Previous supervisory experience managing at least one direct
report, writing and delivering performance reviews, setting goals
and other talent management activities.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with
a diverse client base.
- Solid understanding of fundraising techniques and systems based
on past performance.
- Experience calling, conducting face-to-face appointments,
managing relationships, creating and presenting proposals, and
other fundamental elements of client/donor relationship or
- Ability and desire to coach others in fundraising, relationship
management and portfolio management techniques in order to attain
desired goals and outcomes.
- Demonstrated communications and interpersonal skills, with an
emphasis on engaged listening, persuasive language and
- Previous success working in a team setting sharing ideas for
- Strong commitment to a major, land-grant, research
- A valid motor vehicle operator's license with an acceptable
driving record required. Travel:
- Significant travel required. Desired Skills & Experience:
- Experience coaching a team to meet performance goals and
improve results year over year highly preferred.
- Results-orientated, quality-driven and team oriented.
- Ability to identify key stake-holders and get the right people
at the table to make decisions and create strategic plans.
- Strong negotiation skills with a diplomatic approach to
partnership with campus leadership and external partners.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the university, the mission of the
foundation and the college unit.
- Demonstrates a transparent leadership style that sets a high
bar and inspires the team.
- Driven and hard working.
Keywords: Kansas State University Foundation, Manhattan , Sr. Director of Development - College of Business, Executive , Manhattan, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!