Assistant Director of Facility Operations
Company: Kansas State University
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Assistant Director of Facility Operations
Department: 3670009250 Recreational Services Peters
Job no: 514177
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Worksite: On-site requirement
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Facilities / Grounds /
Skilled Trades, Recreational Services
Pay Grade: 09A
General Description of Position:
The Assistant Director will assist with the operation and
management of the Recreational Services indoor facilities
consisting of the Peters Recreation Complex. This person will
recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and supervise the student personnel
associated with the operations of this facility to include building
supervisors, assistant building supervisors, and weight room
supervisors. This person will oversee all Recreational Services
reservations and rentals in addition to managing the facility
This person will assist in the administration of all programs
conducted by the department including budgeting, personnel,
facilities management, formulation and administration of rules and
policies, long range planning, and evaluation. This person will be
held accountable for the continued growth and improvement of all
programs including the development and implementing of risk
management policies and procedures. This person will serve in a
collaborative, team-oriented approach to the overall management
process of Recreational Services. The development and continued
improvement of customer service practices and staff training will
be a standard expectation for this person. This person will have no
outside duties or jobs that directly interfere with these
Information about the Department:
Recreational Services' mission is to develop, promote and manage
the administration of recreational and fitness facilities, services
and programs for the campus community at Kansas State University.
Active and healthy lifestyles enhance opportunities for continuance
of personal and professional maintenance and growth. These
lifestyles are positively affected by the quality and quantity of
the services, programs and facilities we provide. Recreational
Services promotes student development and provides leadership
opportunities in a diverse setting for its participants and
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion
in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks
candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the
University's commitment to the Principles of Community which can be
The Assistant Director will administer and manage the operations of
the Peters Recreation Complex. This person will be responsible for
the coordination and administration of the student personnel
associated with free-time recreation activities taking place in the
Recreation Complex. This person will manage all reservations and
rentals of the Recreation Complex, Outdoor Recreation Area, and
outdoor field space in accordance with departmental policies.
- Manage all facility and grounds reservations and rental
requests by eligible groups and organizations. This includes
organizing and booking all reservation requests. Approval of
reservation/rental requests, scheduling, and fiscal management for
- Develop, implement, evaluate, and review policies and
guidelines for the reservation/rental of Recreational Services
facilities and grounds.
- Oversee all facility entry, sales, equipment checkout, locker
use, cleaning, and laundry services associated with daily
- Communicate departmental policies and hours of operation to Rec
Services patrons and the campus community.
- Oversee patron disciplinary meetings such as ID confiscation
meetings, patron behavior issues, and other incidents that occur
within the Peters Rec Complex.
- Manage the facility signage located in the facilities.
- Maintain records with regards to participation numbers, risk
management information, payroll information, and year-end
- Review and update employee handbooks for building supervisors,
assistant building supervisors, and weight room supervisors
including policies, procedures, and training methods
- Coordinate efforts to advance Rec Services risk management
efforts for all Rec Services employees to include, but not limited
to Red Cross Certifications, bloodborne pathogen training (BBP),
and emergency action plans.
- Assist with informal recreation needs and facility use
- Assist with the implementation of facility use eligibility,
policies, and procedures.
- Assist the Associate Director-Facility Management with
overseeing and coordinating the upkeep of the Peters Recreation
Complex along with maintenance of the facilities.
- Assist in documentation of all inspections, maintenance logs,
and maintenance plans.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of minor planned
projects; assist with capital renovation and construction
- Serve as point of contact in absence of Associate
- Advertise, interview, select, hire, train, schedule, supervise,
and evaluate personnel including student building supervisors,
assistant building supervisors, and weight room
- Develop facility staffing budget and manage the payroll of all
- Work with other assistant directors and coordinators on daily
facility issues or concerns.
- Oversee all the point-of-sale activities related to student
building staff, determine errors, educate staff in corrections and
associated accounting processes.
- Coordinate and maintain a current inventory of equipment for
the Recreation Complex including date of purchase, cost, vendor,
location, amounts, maintenance, and repairs.
- Coordinate the rental of all equipment.
- Oversee and coordinate with assistance from other staff
members, the cleaning, maintenance, and repair of all equipment
with shared uses.
- Assist with publicity and public relations of recreational
programs including tours of the facility.
- Make appearances at departmental recruiting sessions and
represent the department in selected meetings or events.
- Assist in the development and management of the student
employee leadership program.
- This includes the promotion of the campus recreation career,
departmental internships, and special events to enable and further
the professional experiences of our student staff.
- Ensure career readiness competencies are identified and
developed with student staff
- Attend and make reports to the Recreational Services
- Organize the student employee staff education and preparation
in CPR, AED, and First Aid training.
Training includes ensuring all staff meets the requirements for
BBP, Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED.
- Lead trainings on the department's emergency action plan and
how specific positions function within our plan.
- Serve the University and Department via committees including
the Recreational Services Council and others as needed.
- Collaborate with departmental staff on the development and
implementation of all student development initiatives.
- Assist with department's assessment efforts.
- All areas will include some evening and weekend supervision and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
Required Education, Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with 3 to 5
years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of
education and work experience
- Current certifications with American Red Cross
- AED/CPR/First Aid Instructor Level certification
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Master's Degree in Recreation, Recreational Administration,
Physical Education, Sports Administration or a Related Field
- Two or more years of supervisory experience in recreational
sports programming with major emphasis in facility and personnel
- Leadership and supervisory skills to hire, train, motivate,
supervise and evaluate employees as demonstrated through past
supervision of staff.
- Ability and knowledge to positively manage participant-program
conflicts, risk management and emergency response
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate both
verbally and in writing
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for
three professional references.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applicants will begin November 28, 2022 and continues
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$45,642 - 55,000 plus benefits
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively
seeks diversity among its employees. .
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State
University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the
process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Nov 09, 2022 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled
Keywords: Kansas State University, Manhattan , Assistant Director of Facility Operations, Executive , Manhattan, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!